Ms. Dorcus Ashley Shisoka
Department of Computer Science
The Computer Science Department was organized in 2012, as one of the flagship programs for Kibabii University besides Information technology. At the moment the department is serviced with up-to twelve members, four being full-time. Computer Science is a discipline that involves the understanding and design of computers and computational processes. In its most general form it is concerned with the understanding of information transfer and transformation. Particular interest is placed on making processes efficient and endowing them with some form of intelligence. The discipline ranges from theoretical studies of algorithms to practical problems of implementation in terms of computational hardware and software.
The computer science curriculum offered reflects the multidisciplinary nature of science, and contains diverse courses ranging from basic physical sciences to applied courses in mathematics, physics, communication, information technology, business and management, economics and social science. The curriculum encourages the student to acquire the important skills of self-directed learning, problem solving and effective communication. The graduate is expected to be proficient in a variety of settings, which shall include management of computer information or systems, teaching and undertaking research activities.
Our excellence is embodied in our students. This department is a haven to a vast number of innovators. Our students exercise an unmatched knowledge and have a passion for innovation besides exemplarily showing strong working ethics. We believe that after graduation from our department they’ll be highly suited for the current market.
At the completion of the prescribed course, the graduate will be able to:
- Meet the ever increasing demand of trained personnel in computer science in various fields
- Have adequate knowledge and skills so as to be able to work independently as Computer Hard ware and Software specialists
- Participate in research and development of ICT
- Take up employment in computer industry, research institutions or any other relevant private and public sectors
- Apply the process of critical reasoning in managing computer systems and information
- Venture in to entrepreneurship and marketing
- Capture process and disseminate information
- Maintain the highest professional standards in Computer Science
- Contribute actively in the industrialization process of the Nation of Kenya
- Adapt to, participate in and act as agents of change in this age of information and Communication technology.
- Effectively plan,supervise and mobilize human, financial and capital for efficient achievement of the goals of organizations that deal with Computing
- Identify community needs and offer advisory and outreach services.
3. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1. Candidates with the following qualifications are eligible for admission:
Candidates with a mean grade of C+at K.C.S.E or equivalent with a minimum grade of C+ in each of the subjects in either of the subject groupings listed below
Alternative A Alternative B Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Studies, Chemistry and Physics
Candidates who have successfully completed a relevant diploma course recognized by the University and have attained a distinction or a credit with at least 2 years of field or research experience.
4. PROGRAM DURATION
The duration of the program shall normally be four academic years, unless the School Board approves exemption.
Students shall be expected to choose a specialization area at the beginning of third year. In third and fourth year, the students shall be expected to take the prescribed compulsory core courses together with electives in their specialization areas.
In addition to the normal semesters, there are Industrial training and attachment programs at selected industrial or educational establishments. These programs are at the end of second year and third year respectively.
The University Common Rules and Regulations for undergraduate Examinations shall apply.
We take this opportunity to tell you what we are all about. And if you haven’t already joined us, please plan to visit us in person to see for yourself the exciting confluence of bright minds, a beautiful climate, wonderful teaching and ground- breaking research!
Kibabii University held its 3rd Graduation Ceremony on 23rd November, 2018 at the Graduation Square. The colorful ceremony was presided over by Ambassador (Dr.) Amina Mohamed, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Education on behalf of the Chancellor, H.E. Hon. Uhuru Kenyatta.
1704 graduands were awarded with doctorates, degrees, diplomas and certificates in various fields; Doctorates 6, Masters 26, Bachelors 1314, Diplomas 302 and Certificates 56.
School of Computing & Informatics had: 4 Doctorates, 5 Masters, 76 Bachelors, 13 Diplomas and 11 Certificates.
School of Computing and Informatics (SCAI) organized a 5 day Ajira training geared towards empowering 4th years Information Technology and Computer Science students with the right skills to enable them use technology to access online work and business opportunities that can generate sustainable income. DVC (Planning, Partnerships, Research and Innovation) Prof. Dr.-Ing. Mutua, PhD, Rer. Nat. made a seminar opening address on 12th November, 2018.
Ajira Digital Programme is spearheaded by the Ministry of ICT in partnership with the Ministry of Public Service, Youth and Gender Affairs, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Objectives of Ajira Digital Programme are: To raise the profile of online work, To promote a mentorship and collaborative learning approach to finding online work, To provide Kenyans with access to online work and To promote Kenya as a destination for online work
Ajira Training at Kibabii University Gallery
Kibabii University robotics team participate in the Kenya’s 7th National Science Week hosted by the National Council of Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) at Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) in Nairobi. The team passed the preliminary stage. Theme of the event: Harnessing Research, Science, Technology & Innovation Contribution towards Achieving the Big Four Agenda
Nine graduates from Kibabii University School of Computing and Informatics have been considered for 2018-2019 Presidential Digital Talent Program. This group forms cohort III since the inception of the program. Those in the programme include (from left to right in the photo below):
1. Charles Otieno
2. Patrick Riungu
3. Simiyu Ronald
4. Ernest Kirui
5. Betrine Wafula
6. Jeremy Kioko
7. Stephen Maina
8. James Etole
9. Brown Amubwe
This photo was taken at the Kenya School of Government during induction which was between 15th– 20th April, 2018.
Kibabii University competitively awarded 64.6M for infrastructure support by National Research Fund. This was response call by School of Computing & Informatics to fund establishment of Kibabii University Information Communication and Technology Hub (KICTH). The project was done by School of Computing & Informatics, the project leader is Prof. Franklin Wabwoba Dean School of Computing & Informatics, team members include Dr. Samuel Mbuguah ICT Director, Dr. Mayeku Director Open Distance & E – Learning, Ms. Shisoka, Mr. Kilwake, Mr. Barasa, Mr. Etene, Mr. Owoche and Mr. Muyobo with the support of Prof. Shibairo DVC (Academics and Students Affairs), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Mutua, PhD, Rer. Nat. DVC (Planning, Partnerships, Research and Innovation) and Prof. Odeo Vice Chancellor
The grant shall be used to equip the state of art computing research and innovation hub in the region.
KICTH when fully equiped will enable the hub to:
- Produce skilled manpower in ICT for sustainable development in line with Kenya – Vision 2030
- Facilitate new research breakthroughs
- Provide collaboration between the university and other institution
- Bridge digital divide and spur socio-economic development
- Enhance viable development in pervasive and ubiquitous computing
- Train computer forensic experts in the country and the region
- Provide forensic services to government Agencies and private sectors
- Provide business incubation startups environment with resources and personnel to incubate their ideas/ objectives
- Provide a wireless sensor research laboratory to boost research and innovation to their regions
- Facilitate collaborative exchange of knowledge between Kibabii University and other institutions in the region
- Provide professional certification laboratory and as an income Generating Unit (IGU) to sustain the HUB
- Provide employment opportunities: – create job opportunities to Researchers, Instructors, Technicians, and other staff
- Provide internship and industrial attachment opportunities for students, from Kibabii University and other Institutions